Delhi Lieutenant Governor V.K. Saxena on Wednesday sought details from the police about the acid attack on a girl in the city’s Dwarka area earlier this morning. Saxena also questioned “how the city obtained the acid used despite the ban”.
A 17-year-old girl was injured after two bikers threw an acid-like substance on the road. The incident provoked public condemnation, and Saxea ordered a prompt and thorough investigation into the case to ensure exemplary punishment for the perpetrators.
“The Lt. Governor spoke to the Commissioner of Police regarding the unfortunate incident of acid attack in Dwarka More today and sought details of the incident like how the acid used was procured despite the ban in the city.” Raj Niwas tweeted.
Also Read | ‘How did they get so bold?’: Kejriwal on Delhi acid attack; DCW is conscious
“The LG has ordered a speedy and thorough investigation to provide exemplary punishment to the culprits. The LG is in touch with the hospital authorities and has called for the best possible treatment. He has also assured the victim and his family that he will provide all possible assistance,” he added.
According to the Delhi Police, three people have been arrested so far in connection with the incident near the Dwarka metro station.
The girl was rushed to Safdarjung Hospital where she was said to be out of danger. The exact reason behind the acid attack is not clear, but the police have launched an investigation and are looking into all possibilities to establish the exact cause of the attack.
Also Read | ‘Public execution’: BJP’s Gautam Gambhir on Delhi acid attack
Meanwhile, Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal demanded “stern punishment” for those involved in the act.
“This cannot be tolerated at all. How did criminals become so bold? The criminals should be given the harshest punishment. Safety of every girl in Delhi is important to us,” Kejriwal tweeted.
The National Committee for Women (NCW) accepted the attack, while the Delhi Committee for Women (DCW) issued a notice to the police. “We have issued a notice to the Delhi Police to arrest the attackers and punish them severely. We are helping the victim and his family. But the biggest question here is why the retail sale of acid has not been banned even after several notices,” DCW chief Swati said. Maliwal said.
In 2013, the Supreme Court banned the sale of acid in retail outlets due to the rise in acid attacks. The Supreme Court also decided to grant compensation ₹3 lakh from the state government for each acid attack victim.
(With inputs from ANI & PTI)